You’ll find all our FAQs relating to emergencies
Just call 105
Immediately call the National Grid Gas Emergency Service free on 0800 111 999.
In the event of a potential gas leak or dangerous situation:
- Turn off meter/emergency control immediately and leave off until escape has been repaired. Extinguish all flames.
- Ventilate the premises by opening doors and windows.
- Do not operate any electrical switches.
- Phone the National Grid Gas Emergency Service free on 0800 111 999 (access to premises will be required by National Grid).
- Do not use any gas appliances that you think may have a fault.
- Ensure that all gas appliances are serviced at least once a year by a registered Gas Safe Registered Engineer: www.gassaferegister.co.uk
- Ensure that all ventilation grilles and outside flues are never covered or blocked.
- Fit a Carbon Monoxide Detector.
- Be aware of the position of your gas meter and mains valve.
- Ensure that the National Grid Emergency Line number is in a visible place.
If any of your gas appliances are faulty they may produce Carbon Monoxide. This is a dangerous by-product of natural gas and is colourless and odourless. If your gas appliances are burning orange or yellow there could be Carbon Monoxide present. If in doubt you should have the appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer: www.gassaferegister.co.uk