0344 5678 427

Important message: There is a third-party issue affecting our live chat service, we are working hard to resolve this. We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

What should you do in the event of a gas emergency?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

In the event of a potential gas leak or dangerous situation you should:

  • Turn off your meter or emergency control immediately and leave it off until the leak has been repaired.
  • Ventilate the premises by opening all doors and windows.
  • Do not operate any electrical switches.
  • Phone the National Grid Emergency Service for free on 0800 111 999 (access to the premises will be required by the National Grid).
  • If a fire has been caused by the gas leak, contact the emergency services and exit the building as soon as possible.

How to stay safe

  • Do not proceed to use any gas appliance that you think may have a fault or leak.
  • Ensure that all gas appliances are serviced at least once a year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer – https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
  • Ensure that all ventilation grilles and outside flues are never covered or blocked.
  • Fit a Carbon Monoxide Detector.
  • Be aware of the position of your gas meter and mains valve.
  •  Ensure that the National Grid Emergency Line number is in a visible place.

Carbon Monoxide

If any of your gas appliances are faulty, they may produce carbon monoxide. This is a dangerous b-product of natural gas and is colourless and odourless. If your gas appliances are burning orange or yellow, there could be carbon monoxide present. If in doubt you should have the appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer – https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

We use cookies on our website to give you a better experience, improve performance, and for analytics. Find out more and control how cookies are used by clicking Cookie settings. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies.